Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My look back at 2012: Personal journaling



2012 was a big year for me.

If I were to look at it from the outside looking in, I might wonder at
first if it was a wasted year. It would seem so at first blush. Then
again, for the same reason, I would say, that when looking in from the
outside, that the years 2001 to 2012 could be perceived as wasted.
Don't worry. I will explain. Just remember that first impressions are
often wrong and are misunderstood.

So, why was 2012 a big year in my life?

I learned the truth about my family tree and that has completely
shifted and changed my life. I had three family members come through,
and live in or near, Jamestown in 1607. I had 35+ in or near Jamestown
as of 1640. I live near Jamestown.

That is just the tip of the iceberg. I also have ancestral ties to the
Tudors, the Plantagenets, Constantine, Nero, etc. I also had two
family members on the Mayflower.

Also, my family has fought in every war and had 38+ in the War of
Independence alone with one father and his 12 sons included in that
number.

To say I come from a patriotic family is a grave understatement.

No one in my family had any idea. And we were all patriotic before we
learned the truth. Who knew?

Also, we have been Christian for the most part... excluding Nero and a
couple of others. But, since coming to here in the USA, we have been a
family of faith.

This has changed my perception of my life and has transformed my life entirely.

Then, the elections have had a dramatic impact on my life. I refuse to
go into politics here now. But, I will say that I am still grieving. I
no longer recognize the USA.

And then there was the Aurora Movie Theater Shooting in July. That is
home. My husband and I had just visited for two weeks and returned to
Virginia the week before.

Then, there was the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting.

How was 2012 not the best year?

As I said earlier, if I stood on the outside and looked in over the
last year, as well as the last 11, I might get the impression they
were wasted years. Why? Let me explain how this perception is easy to
get, but is wrong.

In 2001, I determined to live my dream and become a full-time writer.
I even dropped out of the seminary and getting my graduate degree to
do so. (Which I have never regretted for even a second.)

I worked full-time and wrote full-time for 8.5 of those years.

Finally, in 2009 I published three books. Then four in 2011. Then four in 2012.

I wrote over 250 books in that time in those eleven years, but only
published a total of 11 books. None of the 250 books felt right, other
than the eleven.

I wanted to publish multiple and make a living writing.

I also kept spinning my wheels trying to figure out what genre I
wanted to write...and at no avail.

Then, the elections happened and sent my world reeling and spinning.
The truth was and is I abhor the country we are now and the country we
are now. But, I realize there is still no better country.

So, I determined to stop writing fiction and only do journaling and
memoir writing on 14 November 2012 and I have not looked back. I am
pouring everything I have and am into the dream. I am journaling,
working on my memoir, leaving a legacy, and teaching others to do the
same. This is everything to me. This is my dream.

Were the last eleven years wasted? I think not. I have found, and am
living, my dream.

But it took a lot of experiences and heartache to bring me here.

So long 2012. You were one of the most influential years of my life.

Welcome 2013. It is the year of MEMORIES and writing my first memoir.
Journaling is the first step.

-- Stacy Duplease
Journalkeeper & Author

(Image Credit: Stacy Duplease)

No comments:

Post a Comment