Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Journaling and Therapy (or Counseling): Journaling through life's challenges

Most counselors would be put out of business if people journaled--or journaled more.

Just a thought.

Why do I say this? 

If we journaled through our emotion so we could reach rational thinking, we wouldn't explode at people in rage, say something stupid,  do something we regret, or break down. Journaling gives us a safe avenue to get out our emotions. Then, when we work through our emotion, we can see things clearer and with a fresh perspective. We then have insight as to how to overcome our challenge and can then see the light shine through the clouds. 

Journaling through a problem is the best way to live--and it will help us avoid some of our problems and tough times. 

But, in those instances, when the tough times come, and we cannot do anything to stop those times, journaling helps us get to the other side so we can live again and move on--stronger than before. 

We may find at the time that journaling does not help. Inf act, it can make things worse for a bit. But, it will help. We are just in the rawness of the experience. We are hurting and cannot see clearly yet. In hours, days, or weeks, we will--and we will see that journaling helped us through in a way nothing else has or can.

I guarantee this. EVERY time I have had a rough time in my life, journaling has helped. EVERY time. Without fail. 

Look at this week for me. The shooting at Sandy Hook reminded me of how my cousin was shot and murdered. I have come through it--thanks to my journaling and working through my yuck so my yuck doesn't work on me later. (In other words, I dealt with the issue, so it didn't deal with me later.) I headed the yuck straight on. I didn't have to go anywhere else for the answers. Most often, the answer is time and a new/fresh perspective. Do I still hurt? You bet. But, I can approach the pain differently. I have a clear head because I dealt with emotion and found the logic. My pain is now a companion and not an enemy. 

Since I journaled, I was able to work through, and deal with what I was feeling, a great deal quicker than I would have otherwise. 

That being said  there are times it is essential to talk with the professionals. If there are ever feelings of suicide or homicide, it's critical to seek advice from the professionals immediately. This is also true when we cannot see our way through the yuck on our own. Another point-of-view can help. 


Stacy Duplease
Journalkeeper & Author
The Remembering Your Present Journal Keeping Series
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Storykeeper 2121

No comments:

Post a Comment