Saturday, December 17, 2011

A Problem of Prayer Warriors: Small-Mindedness


(Photo is from Microsoft Clipart)

I think a problem some tend to have with praying fruitful, unceasing, long-term, lifespan prayers is we do not think in big enough terms regarding prayer. The harsh way of saying this is I think we tend to act small-minded and minimize prayer. But, we sure do not intend to do so.

I know I do. I never even realized it either until I started reading "The Circle Maker" by Mark Batterson. I do not pray big enough. I am afraid of being disappointed. I am impatient and if it doesn't get answered right away, I tend to get frustrated with God and with prayer. I want the quick-fix, fast-food, email vs. snail mail type of prayer.

"The Circle Maker" pointed out how in the book of Daniel, the prophet Daniel prayed for events, and for a specific person (the Messiah), that would not happen for another 2,000 years. And, Daniel prayed for them as urgently as he would have if a friend was sick and might die for him today. Do you think he ever saw the results of his prayer, or had them answered, while he was on earth? He knew he would never see it on earth. But, he still prayed with urgency, three times a day--even when it was illegal. He was determined in prayer and never took his eyes off of what was important: his prayer time with the Lord.

Yet, Daniel's prayers were answered in quadruple-fold when Jesus Christ was born, then again while Jesus lived, then again when Jesus died, and then again when Jesus was resurrected. Daniel's prayers impacted generations up to Jesus and still to this day and will for generations to come (or until the Messiah returns). 

Now do you see why I say some of us are small-minded and minimize prayer? I never would have imagined that one of my prayers could positively impact generations upon generations of people and their lives. Then, there is the flip side. If I do not pray one prayer, how many generations am I negatively impacting?

Wow. That sure gives me a lot to take into consideration, I do not know about you. 

How much will our prayers impact generations to come? The answer is simple. It depends on how much we pray. Te more we pray, the more we give God the opportunity to bless. I do not know about you, but I do not want to keep God from doing what he wants to do--love on and bless his people. 

I also do not want to be so small-minded about prayer.

So... Do you want to join me and pray, pray, and then pray some more? The Great Commission still needs to be fulfilled in this nation. (And, that's a command from the Lord.)

Stacy Duplease
Prayer Warrior and Faithful Writer
USAGC 2026

No comments:

Post a Comment