Monday, November 19, 2012

SOC Journaling (Stream of Consciousness): Journaling Exercise



INTRO
If you were to ask me what type of journaling I do most, I would say I do the SOC the most. It's Stream of Conscious Journaling. I think 90% or more of my journaling is this. 

SOC Journaling is writing whatever comes to mind, without censoring or correcting it. It's putting whatever I think onto the page. Sometimes, I use a journaling prompt and/or journaling exericse, but how I respond, is through the SOC. 

I try to do a DOC for at least 10 minutes at a time.

I do a separate SOC for every memorable thing I list in my journal each day. Sometimes  I do this at the end of the day, sometimes at the end of the week and/or month, whenever I want to journal more about something, and sometimes when I get stuck and don't know what else to journal about. I do a SOC at the end of every JRT (Journaling Review Template) as well. 

HOW TO DO A SOC JOURNALING EXERCISE:
1. Write as fast as you can, however long you can, and don't stop until either the timer goes off, you get interrupted, or you have nothing more to say. 
2. When finished, underline or star 3 of the most important points you wrote.
3. Write those 3 points you marked in #2 at the very end of your SOC. This is your reference point of stuff you want to write more about later. 
4. Take one of the points listed in 2 and 3 and write more about it at this time--through doing a 5-10 minute SOC (or longer) at this time. 


(Image Credit: Stacy Duplease. Zack.)

No comments:

Post a Comment