Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Journaling Tip: When you don't feel like it



Do not journal whenever you feel like it. More often than not, you probably won't feel it.

Feelings are fickle. They come and go all the time.

Rather, journal every day at a specific time. Put it on your calendar and let nothing--other than death prevent you from journaling.

Journal something. Anything.

If you feel stuck and have no idea what to journal, start with a journaling prompt. Or, flip through your journal and find the sections you have underlined, starred, or highlighted as something important and to write more about.

And keep journaling that day--even if you think it's trash.

More often than not, the days I don't feel like it, really don't want to, and think my entries stink worse than sour milk, are the precise moments that something is stirring and happening. In the next couple of days, I realize something was simmering inside, but I didn't know what it was. Then, after a couple of days, I learn what was going on. This is usually a time of transition that leads to an AHA moment. It generally leads to something big.

Granted, sometimes, it can take a couple of days, weeks, or months. But, keep journaling. The AHA and moment of enlightenment will come. Just be faithful to journaling and to the process and it will come together--in huge, magnificent  awe-inspiring, life-changing ways.

Keep journaling--no matter what. It will all come together. Just persevere--even when you don't feel it.

~ Stacy Duplease

(Image Credit: Stacy Duplease. 2012. Zack Duplease Beagle.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't think Zack feels like journaling. I'll journal for him. It may be just a few sentences because I'm pretty tuckered myself.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Zack feels like journaling. I'll journal for him. It may be just a few sentences because I'm pretty tuckered myself.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete