Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Personal Journaling, Memory Making, and Beagle Drama




PERSONAL JOURNALING
I figured you might like to see a few of my personal journal entries from time to time, so you can see what a nutty journalkeeper of about 30 years does in her journal. I hope it helps inspire you, teach you, encourage you, and comfort you.

MEMORY MAKING
I believe that we should make every day memorable. If we do not, then it is a day wasted. And, that's a tragedy.

Journaling helps this to happen, by the way.

The memory making includes experiences, thoughts, ideas, dreams, goal-setting and accomplishing goals, hopes, challenges, etc.

Sometimes, memory making happens accidentally. Sometimes  it happens and we don't expect it. Sometimes, we have to be intentional about it. However, I believe each and every day, we should live intentionally to make a memory.

Well... Yesterday and today I had two occasions when memories were thrown upon me--thanks to Zack Beagle.

BEAGLE DRAMA
Last night--and then again this morning (!!!) brought Beagle drama in my life. I think he lost three lives in the process: Two by accident and one by me.

 First of all, you need to know that on 27 January, Zack Beagle turns 13 years old. He still acts like he has a couple of years left in him, too. He doesn't look like almost 13 years old--other than his bald face (white). There are times he shows his age: like when he stands up after sleeping for an hour or two or 20 (my husband and I can sure relate). Then, there are other times he acts like a pup--like when Sinan Maine Coon Cat and he play chase through the house. 

There is something else you need to know. Beagle's are accidental troublemakers. Their noses tend to get them into trouble. Their noses have the strongest sense of smell than most other dog breeds. And, to prove it, watch them. Most of the time, if they are awake and not sleeping, their noses are on the ground, and they are smelling. 

When they get on the trail of a smell  they tend to chew things if you leave food items down where they can find it--or they will wander from you if you take your eyes off of them for a heartbeat. Consequently, they runaway without intending. The latter happened to me last night. 

I put Zack outside to do what dogs do outside in back (which is partly open) and I went to wind up our cuckoo clock as I spoke to my husband as he drove home from his day at work. It took 60 seconds or so. Then, I went back to let Zack inside. 

Now, you need to know that if Zack wanders, he never goes far--unless he takes off running, but that is rare. He has never made it anywhere but to the neighbor's house (with me anyway).

Let me set the record straight. He goes outside three to four times a day. He has wandered in the last year and a half, less than the fingers on one of my hands. He usually only makes it to where the fence is missing--and we are able to yell at him to come back. But, five times, he made it out that area and headed to the neighbor's--to sniff. But, we caught him before he even made it there. We keep a good eye on him.

But, the one thing I needed to remember is that it is winter. If he gets cold, he walks faster and will literally run--in order to stay warm or get warm.  Taking more than 30 seconds (it was less than a minute, though) of my eyes off the dog when it was cold was wrong. 

He was gone! I yelled out for him. Nothing. No beagle. And I was barefoot--and it was chilly outside. So, I couldn't go running outside to get him. I went charging through the house to grab my shoes, but no jacket--as I told my husband I had to let him go so I could find the dog.

I tore out front door and looked around as I called out to him. No Zack. He wasn't anywhere in sight. 

We live along a busy street--and it was rush hour! So, you can imagine what went on in my mind. He would be hit by a car. He would be hurt or killed. 

Which way? Right or left? My husband told me to go left before we got off the phone and that's what I did. Nothing. I walked through several backyards and yelled for the dog--as I felt my heart pound against my chest. I could hear my heartbeat as well as feel it. 

I also kicked myself for taking any chances at all and not having a rope to put him on because of his nose. "Shame on me," I scolded myself. "If anything happens to him..."

"ZACK! Zacchaeus!" Walk, look all over, yell again, look toward the street--and all the cars(!!!).

I can't find him. I call husband. Frantic. "I can't find him." And,  "Hurry home." And, "Make sure to look for a beagle as you come home." 

My husband asked me what I was wearing. "Shoes that are meant for inside only and no jacket."

"Do you have flashlights?"

"No."

"Go inside, Stacy, and get flashlights, real shoes, and a warm coat."

Me: "Okay. Come with me." I scanned the area for the dog as I headed back to home. I got inside and ran all around trying to grab shoes upstairs, flashlights in living room and study, and coat by front door. I couldn't get my jacket on! I told my husband. 

"Put the phone down."

"'Kay." Sure enough, that made it easier than holding cell and trying to put the coat on. "Got it. Now, let me let you go."

I went outside and looked all around. Nothing. No Zack Beagle. 

I use the flashlight as I walk further into the front yard. It was a good thing I had it--for it was dark now. Nothing. 

I call out, "Zack!" Nothing.

I start kicking myself again, telling myself I was the worst dog owner ever. (Dramatic.)

I determined to go left again--since I can see a great deal to my right and didn't see him. I run into the neighbor to our right and ask him if he had seen beagle. He said he would keep his eye out for the little fellow. 

I went left (wondering if that was a mistake and should really go right) --and looked all over -and went even further than before--searching--looking all over--with eyes and flashlight.

NOTHING!

I keep searching. Nothing. I decide to turn around and head toward house. I call my husband--in hysteria. I ask him where he was. He was FAR from home--still Antone 12 minutes or so before he made it home. That didn't sit well with me. He tells me to calm down. I knew he was right. Being hysterical surely wouldn't help find Zack.

"Hurry! Now, I'm going to let you go so I can look for him," I tell my husband.

I search with eyes and flashlight on both sides of the street. Nothing.

I get in front of our house. Nothing.

I go right. Nothing.

I call out and keep looking with eyes and flashlight--heart pounding more and more.

Then, movement caught my eye in front of one of the houses. "BEAGLE!" I yell out as he had his nose to the ground, of course. When he heard my voice, his nose came off the ground, ears in air, and I holler, "Come here, Zack," as I start heading to him. 

Zack moved faster than a mosey as he headed toward me. Usually he takes his own sweet time, but he didn't now. Did he know he was lost? Or did he sense my emotions? That was what I wanted to know.

We reached each other  He got a million pets on his head and a few kisses on his nose as I pick up the 30 pound dog and carry him home. 

Do I scold him or do I let it go? I asked myself and decided to let it go and I praised God, aloud, for finding the dog--and he was okay. Thank God.

When we reached our driveway, I put the dog on the ground and watch to see if he would follow me. He did. So, I called my husband to let him know.  I also told hubby that we are getting rope out of garage and will attach the leash to it and Zack will have to do what dogs do--while he is tethered from here on out. My husband says, "I will not allow you to go through that again  I will look for it as I get out of my car in the garage."

What my hubby said meant a great deal--about how he wouldn't let me go through that again. I know he also meant that he wouldn't' take the chance with Zack's life again either. (Their darn noses!)

When Zack and I went outside, I was off the phone, and I sat on the floor and hugged Zack and talked with him about my experience and asked him how his was. He snuggled up with me. I thank God again and again. Even the cat got in on the action. I think he somehow knew what happened. He looked relieved when he saw Zack as well.

Thank God Zack is home and safe!

But, he lost two of his many lives (he has a brother that's a cat, so why couldn't he have multiple lives, too?). One was lost on his own accord and one in which I wanted to take because of his nose (not literally  of course. Just being funny.)

MORE ZACK DRAMA: ROUND TWO
Zack sleeps a lot. He has since he was a puppy. He is an expert sleeper. It's what he's really good at, along with finding food, of course (his nose!). However, there are times he plays with the cat. It's usually in the morning and sometimes just before bed. 

I got up early to workout on the treadmill. (Do you sense where this is going?)

I was doing my thing when the beagle runs into the workout room. I know that face and that sound. He runs like that if cat is chasing him. And, he runs to me to protect him at times (which I tell him to get the kitty). Today was one of those times. 

I heard him JUMP onto the treadmill in back of me! My heart stops. I hit STOP on the treadmill and turn around to see Zack fall over to his side and get thrown off the treadmill. It sounds a lot worse than what it was, though. He landed on the comfy carpet with nice pad and jumped right up like nothing happened. 

He had never tried that stunt before. I doubt he will try it again. 

I was far more of a mess about it than he was. I stopped my workout, determined to try for a longer one tomorrow, and give him all sorts of love--as I checked him over to see if he was hurt. He was just fine. His pride was hurt more than anything, but was quickly reversed when he got tons of attention. 

Let me tell you how I was praising and thanking God again for protecting the little fellow! Poor old man. (Laughing--now.)

That was the third life he had lost in the last 14 hours.

Two memorable dramas I will never forget. After all, I just journaled about them here, didn't I? 

Now, I hope there will not be any more Beagle drama in a long. long time. Thanks to the rope we set up last night, that diminishes the chances. Now, somehow, he needs to stay off the treadmill. 

Stacy Duplease
Journalkeeper & Author
The Remembering Your Present Journal Keeping Series
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Storykeeper 2121

3 comments:

  1. Poor you, poor Zack and poor hubby. I can't even imagine the terror you felt. Such a traumatic experience for all of you.

    The laughter that came out of me imagining Zack on a treadmill was of sure joy and thank God he's ok.

    Deena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor you, poor Zack and poor hubby. I can't even imagine the terror you felt. Such a traumatic experience for all of you.

    The laughter that came out of me imagining Zack on a treadmill was of sure joy and thank God he's ok.

    Deena

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are used to the cat scaring the daylights out of us. But, never Beagle. I can count on one hand the times he's scared me. That's two fingers in the last day. (The goofball!)

    Thank God--I agree.

    And, for the record, he really does need the exercise! (Lol.)

    ~ Stacy Duplease

    ReplyDelete