Thursday, December 1, 2011

A MONTH OF PRAYING THE WORD: Day 12: Part 2 of 3

READ THE WORD BECAUSE YOU WANT TO AND NOT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DO SO
I cannot stress that enough. Read the Bible because you have a desire to know God, to hear what he has to say, to develop an intimate relationship with him, and to receive his counsel. We read the Word of God to talk to him and to hear him. We read the Word to draw forever nearer to him and be close with him. We read the Word because we desire him. 

Never, ever, ever pick up the Bible because you want to check off today's reading in your little To Do List. That is sacrilegious and misses the entire point. We are to read the Word because we desire him and not because we want to be recognized for our good deeds.

I hope that wasn't too harsh or pointed. But, sometimes truth hurts. It's not always pretty or kind. Sometimes, it's in your face. And I hope you know the only reason why I can say all of these things is because I've struggled with this. It's the same about what I am about to say as well. So, here's some truth. Do you know why I write what I write? Because I have experience with these things. I never write what I do not know. I do not want to lead anyone astray. I write because this is what I need and struggle with. So know if any of this hits you square between the eyes, it's done the same for me--repeatedly. 

FEELING LIKE IT
Now, that's not to say only to read the Bible when we 'feel like it.' Feelings are fickle and will lead you astray most of the time. Feelings lie and are not based in truth. Feelings are not fact. Feelings make us act out of passion, or dispassion for that matter, and then we do things we regret. 

I never feel like getting on the treadmill. I never feel like getting sweaty and stinky from it. I never feel like eating vegetables over cheesecake. I never feel like doing laundry or dishes. 

I do not know about you, but there are times I really do not want to read the Word, go to Bible study, or go to church. Nope. Not at all. I can think of a million things, if not a trillion, I would rather feel like doing. However, that is when I know I need to do it the most. If I force myself to do it, then I realize how desperately I really needed it. Those are the times I get the most out of the lessons. Those are the times I ended up knowing God more and drawing closer to him. Those are the times I hear him more clearly than usual. So, when I do not feel like it, I make note. I realize that is when I must. My spirit and intimacy with God is at stake. 

If I fail to do it this one time, the next will be easier to justify not doing. Then, it becomes a slippery slope. But, more to the point, if I allow my feelings to dictate where I go and what I do, they will most likely lead me to do the wrong thing and consequently I will sin. The feelings lead me to temptation. My actions follow through and then I sin. 

Read the Bible becuase it helps you to Pray the Word because you will know the Word and the Lord. 

So, ignore your feelings if they are telling you you don't feel like it or not to do it. Do it anyway. But, make sure your heart and mind are in the right place. Make sure you desire God--to know him and draw close to him. But, don't do it because you have to check it off the list. 

Does this make sense?

OBSTACLES
There will also be obstacles and life challenges which will try to get in the way of you Praying the word, reading the bible, doing Bible study, going to church, etc. (Never mind that feelings are obstacles as well.) This is inevitable.

Do you know the four sources of these obstacles?
A Self/pride
B The enemy
C Fellow man
D Circumstances
E God will test you.

Three of those will tempt you and have the potential lead you to sin. One of those (E) will allow the other four.

One of those can be caused by the other three or the last one (D).

So... Pray against the obstacles. Be watchful and aware of these pitfalls. Do not allow yourself to fall prey to them. 

Our next lesson will be Part 3 for today and will be on the next verse of our study of Praying the Word.

Stacy Duplease
Bible Study Writer & Blogger
A Loyal FaithFind my books at/store: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/hisfiction 

No comments:

Post a Comment