Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A MONTH OF PRAYING IN THE WORD: Day 10 and being hit with obstacles and distractions

We are moving right along. It's Day 10 already. Where does the time go? I am excited, nonetheless, to keep going and see where God takes us. (Trust me. I am on this ride just as much as you. I do my best to allow God to reveal to me what to write, after all. I want my words to be HIS words.)

BEING HIT
I do not know about you, but I've always noticed that the more I get into God's Word, and the more loyal my faith becomes, the more I am hit with obstacles, distractions, and life challenges. Or, the people around me start to go through them more. 

I also think that my awareness increases as God reveals things for me to take to him. 

My heart is breaking for a friend right now who has been hit with some of those challenges. I just found out and I wish I could give her a hug, but there's physical distance there. Sigh. (I know what I am going to be praying today--and beyond.)

~*~ But, how about you? Have you been hit with any of these things? Or has your awareness increased because God's softening your heart so you can find more opportunities to pray? How about both? Please write your response in your journal. Whatever God puts on your heart to take to him... Do so at this time. Then, we will move forward. 

PLAN CHANGE
I had this lesson set for tomorrow. But, I have the impression it's needed more today. So, here we go. I cannot help but wonder if you need the lesson today just as badly as I do. 

A CHRISTMAS VERSE
It's now the Christmas season and I cannot help but think of one of my all-time favorite verses. After all, we learn a great deal about the character of our Lord in the verse. Of course, I turn to it all year long. But, it's associated with Christmas and with the birth of Jesus Christ, nonetheless. 

Please turn in your Bibles to Isaiah 9:6 at this time and read it. Then journal the following:

~*~ What did you learn about Jesus from these verses?
~*~ Why do you think this is included here by me in verses about the importance of praying the Word?
~*~ Which name and characteristic jumps out at you today and why?
~*~ Go through the rest of the characteristics and names of Jesus and describe how they can be useful to you today (this week, month, etc.)

ISAIAH 9:6
Here is my paraphrased, personalized, prayer version of the verse:

Jesus is: Everlasting Father, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, and Mighty God. 

He will always be a Father to me.
He is a counselor to turn to for wisdom and advice. 
He offers me peace when my spirit knows none.
He has great strength to offer me when needed and will protect me and those I love. 

WHY WAS ISAIAH 9:6 INCLUDED HERE?
Just those four qualities of Jesus can be pondered daily for the rest of our lives. That's why. 

He is the Word made flesh (John 1:1), and given that, the Word offers us those qualities as well. Do you want the Father? Turn to the Word. Do you want a counselor of wisdom? Turn to the Word. Do you need a sense of peace? Turn to the Word. Do you need strength and protection--or those you love? Turn to the Word. 

The Word... Jesus Christ... really is the answer to every problem and every want and need. 

JOURNAL
~*~ What has God said to you today?
~*~ What have you said to God?
~*~ Make a plan to meditate on this verse once a month to every couple of months. 

ISAIAH 9:6 FOR TODAY
Meditate and pray this verse for the next 24 hours. Spend lots of time journaling and talking and listening to the Lord about this verse and his names. 

JUST IN CASE: THREE PRAYING THE WORD OPTIONS
If Isaiah 9:6 isn't speaking to you today, you have three choices. This is true for the rest of this book as well. You have three options:
A You can do the next day in the month of verses provided in Appendix A. 
B You can look at five verses of your own... 
C You can take a look at the 365 DAYS OF PRAYING THE WORD: SCRIPTURE LIST #1 book and start to work on those.

Again, 5 verses a day is just a suggestion. Sometimes, I meditate and pray continually one verse for a couple of weeks. Other times, I have to go through 15 verses. It all depends. The point is to be flexible and see where God leads you. 


Stacy Duplease
Bible Study Writer & Blogger
A Loyal Faith
Find my books at/store: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/hisfiction 


No comments:

Post a Comment