Monday, September 26, 2011

NaNoWriMo Confessions

So, I have a confession to make regarding NaNoWriMo.

I love it and am quite passionate about it. I started to do it in 2009, after I found out about it too late in 2008, and have found an interesting trend in my life. I will, unless I am unconscious or in the hospital, do NaNoWriMo every year. Period. As a matter of fact, in 2012, I want to do JulNoWriMo as well (July). It's a non-negotiable to me. It's important to my writing life and for me personally.

Here comes the trend and confession...

However, every single year, it hits the end of September and I look at the calendar and see that it's almost October...meaning November and NaNoWriMo is just around the corner. Yikes! The pressure is then on and I have to work quickly to make up for loss time (at least in my mind to prepare myself mentally if nothing else. Although, a book idea at the very least is helpful.) It never hits me until the end of September for some reason. So, I now have a reminder set in my planner to remind myself monthly--starting 01 August about NaNoWriMo.

I can't help but chuckle and realize how wrapped up in life I can become to be so dense as to not to prepare for NaNoWriMo a little earlier in the year than at the end of September. 

This confession gets worse. I am in the middle of writing my "Yorktown's Dawning" book, and am at 62,000 words of 135,000. So, I need to finish this novel first so I can start the novel for NaNoWriMo on 01 November 2011. Oh, boy! No pressure. So, it looks like October will be a preview for NaNoWriMo in November. Check out my blog at: http://ushistoryfiction.blogspot.com for how that goes (Along with what I mention on this blog).

Do I have any idea about what I am going to do for the real November NaNoWriMo? Yes. I know it's going to be on Jamestowne. Other than that, I don't have a clue. Maybe I should start thinking about that in between my personal OctNaNoWriMo. 

So, am I out of my mind? Probably. But, hey. It's worth it! (Pray for my husband.)

--
~ Stacy Duplease
Author of Historical Fiction (of Virginia and the U.S.) & Journalkeeper
of Remembering Your Present, LLC
  
Latest Book: "Yorktown's Dawning"
Latest Historical Fiction Series: "The Chronicles of the Siege of Yorktown"

No comments:

Post a Comment