Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Day 3 Psalm 1:1 (Cont.): A Sentimental Journey Through the Book of Psalms, Part 1

This is a verse to repeat at least in the morning, if not throughout the day, particularly every time we stand at the throne and are ready to read the Holy Bible, the Word of God, the Scripture. It's not something to take lightly. It is a time of reverence and we are to give God and His Word the respect they are due.
I recommend memorizing it in your favorite version of the Bible so you can pray this every time you approach the throne and the Word of God.





Now, let's look at this version of Psalm 1:1 and bring us back to where we were yesterday and last night. 
Psalm 1:1 /Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
1 How happy is the man
who does not follow the advice of the wicked
or take the path of sinners
or join a group of mockers!

-- HCSB: Scripture quotations marked HCSB are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers. 
Let's prayer journal our thoughts.
Now, let’s look at this version:







Let's prayer journal our thoughts.


BLESSING
I don't know about you, but my life can sure use God's blessing. Then again, whose couldn't? 
Lord, You tell us how we can get some blessing and happiness in our lives. It's through being careful as to who we listen to and watching the company we keep. We need to make sure we keep God and eternity first in our lives (see Matthew 6:33 EXB in particular). If we do not do this, it's easy to be friends with those who bring us off track with God or keep us from Him. 

BE CAREFUL WHO YOU COUNT AS A FRIEND
Let's be honest here. I have a couple of friends who are not Christ-followers, but they are those who actually help me keep God and eternity first in my lives because of who they are, how matter they are, and their life's outlook. And, I have some Christian people in my life who hardly act like a Christ-Follower. As a matter of fact, they don't read the Bible once a year, let alone several times a day--and their lives show it. But, then, I have those who are believers in Christ in my life, who never go to church, never read the Bible, and are far more Christian than I could ever dream of being, if you know what I mean. 
Do you know who I hand out with and talk with on a regular basis? Those who allow me to be me, no judgment given, and who bring me closer to God. These are the few I allow to speak into my life, and I can count them on less than one hand. 
I count my friends very carefully. After all, I guard my heart (see Proverbs 4:23) and my life. 
I spent years trying to figure out who in my life I found who could increase my faith--and I associate most with those who do. Some are Christ-Followers, some are Christian and do all the Christian stuff, and some are not believers. 
Why? So I stay on track. Why? I am a sinner and deserve death (see Romans 6:23). I am prone to stumble. I mess up. I easily wander and get sidetracked. 
Psalm 1:1 is about this. 
I am not a popularity contest and I certainly am not in one. (No!) 
I know the way of the believers is through the narrow gate (see Matthew 7:13-14); hence, the road I am on with have few companions. And, most of the time, I will walk it alone (without a human by my side), but I will have the Lord and the Word with me forever. 
It might be a lonely road to travel at times, this walk of faith, but I am never alone. Not when I have God and His Word, the Bible.
Prayer journal your thoughts. 

BE CAREFUL WITH MARRIAGE
We should be very careful who we marry, by the way, because of this. 
LADIES: Ladies, only marry a true spiritual leader of the home. Marry one who is worthy of it. Be choosy about this. It's your faith we're talking about here. If you are not willing to have your man be the spiritual leader of the home, do not marry. Do not live in sin either. Instead, wait until you are mature enough to handle this and marry rightly. For, you do not want to be his stumbling block, for he will answer to God about you and your behavior, plus your home and your faith-life as a couple. 
GENTLEMEN: Gentlemen, be careful who you marry and when you marry. If she is not willing to let you be the spiritual leader of the home, then wait until she is or move on to find someone else or stay single. You are never to force your hand to be the spiritual leader of the home. You should be humble, but close with the Lord and in His Word. You will answer to God about this one day. Your wife should be wiling to allow you to take your proper role ehre and not try to steal your thunder. If she is the right one, you'll never have to ask her to. She will just allow you to be the spiritual leader of the home without saying a word. Her behavior and faith will dictate this naturally. If this is her, this is the lady you want to marry. You shouldn't have to force the issue. Your faith should be so strong and you should be so knowledgeable that you are worthy to be the spiritual leader of your home. 
THIS PRINCIPLE LIVED OUT: My husband is the definite spiritual leader of the home. It's never one he's had to impose. He just is. We talk about God and the Bible all the time, along with our faith. We worship Him and help each other draw closer to Him and to His Word each day. It's part of who we are. Our marriage vows were specially written for this to be. He took his role and I took mine, in the sight of God. We know our marriage is a reflection of our relationship with the Lord--and do not take this lightly. Consequently, since we both know our roles in our marriage, and keep them, we are even closer because of it--with God and with one another. It is something that just happens naturally. We seek God and eternity first and never get jealous of one another's time with the Lord. This allows us to be close and stand through more gale force storms because of these choices. And, this all stems to Psalm 1:1. 
Prayer journal your thoughts.   




No comments:

Post a Comment