Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Application How-to

How does the Bible, written thousands of years ago, apply to our lives in the 21st Century? 

Let me rephrase the question:
How does an ancient text apply to our lives today? 

That question was meant to get us thinking and shift our focus. Now, why don't you prepare your journal workbook to answer the following questions:

334 Was this a concern of yours before this study?

335 Has this study helped you to look at application with a new perspective? 

At this point, you might think this blog post about how to figure out proper application within proper biblical context to our lives today. However, there is no time like the present. Now that you are familiar with thinking about living the Word of God, the Holy Bible, you are ready to understand more of the tips of the trade, so to speak.

All of the books of the Bible was written for a specific person or group of people in mind--at the time. The book meant something specific for them then in history. It is important for us to remember how it applied to them does not necessarily apply to us in the same manner. What we need to ask of what we read is this:

How does this verse or passage apply to my eternal life?

If it does not apply to your eternal life, then ask yourself if it applies to you at all. Make sure to read the entire chapter and then the book and ask yourself the question again. If it doesn't, then ask these dimensional questions:
A How does this help me grow in faith?
B How does this help me glorify God?
C How does address my inward life? My being life? My thought life?
D What behavior change does this ask of me? 

Now, if your application options did apply to your eternal life, still ask questions A-D to see if you can get an application for each of those points. It helps you to have a more rounded faith--where you are not all about doing or all about being.

Asking those questions should help you come up with 4 applications at least... if the verse of passage applies to your eternal life, of course. 

So, all of the questions to ask in order to figure out how a verse or passage applies to your life, in recap, are: 
How does this apply to my eternal life? 
A How does this help me grow in faith?
B How does this help me glorify God?
C How does address my inward life? My being life? My thought life?
D What behavior change does this ask of me?

Stacy Duplease
Bible Study Writer & Blogger
A Loyal Faith
Find my books at/store: http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/hisfiction 
a loyal faith blog: Application Template
Sent from my Kindle Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment