Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My story from 9/11



SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH: REMEMBERING

On 9/10/2001, I watched as a beloved Broncos player, Ed MacCaffrey was hurt. He was given a life-changing break to his leg. It was horrible. It was an injury you had the feeling ended his career. I tossed and turned that night.

When I drove to work that morning, across town, I could not help but think of him. The radio talked about it as well.

Then... Everything was put into proper perspective.

846 a.m. Eastern Time (It was 646 in Denver, where I am from and will return one day.)

I heard the radio announce: "An airplane has crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City."

I remember saying out loud, "WHAT?" That sure caught my attention.

Was it a Cessna or a commercial jetliner? Was it a terrorist or an accident? I could not help but wonder. Then, the guy on the radio speculated the same questions over the radio.

A couple of minutes later, he announced again, "A second airplane has struck the World Trade Center." There was a pause. "It is now safe to say that this was a deliberate act of terrorism."

"War has been declared on the United States of America," I said to myself. Hearing those words, and speaking them, were rather mind-boggling and stunning. Never mind what just happened in NYC.

We were at war.

How many people just died or were hurt? How many fathers, mothers, children, friends were not going home that night? I thought as my heart went to my throat. How many people were in the towers? How many people worked in the towers?

They radio program, a music station which played the 80's to today music, had a guest who said over 50,000 people worked in the World Trade Center's two towers.

I knew someone who would most likely be going to war. (My future husband.) The thought hit me pretty hard.

I thought about the two most important dates in U.S. history, according to my father: 04 July 1776 and 07 December 1941. Both days were marked by the shedding of American blood for freedom. 12/7 was a day of infamy.

My dad made sure I knew all about the events on 12/7, those that led up to it, and the aftermath. I knew the costs of that day.

My dad was too young to know 12/7 personally, but I could tell it impacted him and his life. (It still does today.)

Any day when THOUSANDS of Americans die is a terrible day. (Never mind any other nationality across the world.)

I knew September Eleventh was most likely going to be worse than Pearl Harbor. The numbers, and airplanes, only cemented this reality.

"It has been confirmed that it was two commercial jetliners, folks." The guy over the radio shared with us.

I had just pulled into the parking lot at work. I turned off my truck and said a prayer before I headed into work.

The radio was not on. It was always on. But, it was not on yet. This struck me.

"Turn on the radio," I hollered across the print shop to the gal closest to the radio.
"Why?"

"Two commercial planes have hit the World Trade Center in New York City. That's why." I shared the simple truth with them. I heard my voice quiver a little as I spoke.

The guy and gal looked at one another and then LAUGHED at me in disbelief.

I remember feeling furious, but I bit my tongue. This was not something you joked about or made up. Ever. "I am serious. Please turn on the radio." I requested and headed to the back to punch the clock.

When I got back up front, they stood there, mouths hanging open.

I immediately called our supervisor and he brought in a t.v. He was getting ready to leave his house.

937 a.m.

I then called my dad, and woke him up, since he worked nights. This was something you wake people up for. We just heard how the Pentagon was hit. (That was yet another declaration of war. How many more would we get today?)

Then, I called my mom.

959 a.m.

The moment our supervisor got to work, and plugged in the t.v., the first tower fell.

I will never forget a group of us standing around watching this. Two were former military. They said it would be a matter of days before we responded. I agreed. How could we not? They both said they would want to re-enlist that second if they could, but they could not. One had physical problems. One had too many obligations at home. He was also a single father and the mother was out of the equation.

1006 United 93, southwest of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

1028 The second tower fell.

I will never forget how we could tell when customers walked into the print shop--whether they knew or not about what happened this day. Those who heard, said something, and were somber. Those who had not heard were loud, happy, continued on with life as normal.

Since I was the one who ran the counter, along with A/R, I was the one who told them.

"I take it you haven't heard." I knew not to ask if they had or not. It was obvious.

"Hear what?" All of them asked.

"About how two planes have crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City."

"No!"

"Yes..."

The moment I got in my truck to drive home, I listened to the radio. The moment I got home, I turned on the t.v. I saw all of the images again... Heard stories...

Just as I did a couple of days ago.

My husband and I drove home from a Presidential rally when he turned on the radio. They were replaying the sounds of that day.

For 45 minutes, my husband and I drove in silence.

Today, I have been peeled to the t.v. again... as I am every year.

One day, we will have a child. They will know about the three dates in U.S. history to never forget. 04 July 1776. 07 December 1941. 11 September 2001.

Our future child will know how many military men and women we have personally known who have fought and fallen since.

Freedom costs. It is not free.

We will never forget.

We will not falter.

The land of the free, the home of the brace.

God bless the USA.

(Image Credit: Microsoft Images Online.)

Stacy Duplease
Historical Fiction Writer of:
Inspirational American Historical Ancestry Romance Fiction
 

No comments:

Post a Comment