Friday, January 18, 2013

Daily Word Count Goals: A Tip and a Tracking System


I want to share this new Daily Word Count Goal Tracking System with the writers who read this blog. But, it would also work for journalkeepers to track if your journal each day--and if you want to do a minimum word count goal daily. 

I am always looking to streamline how I do things--regarding my writing and journaling. This includes how I keep track of my word count goals. Consequently, two weeks ago, I started a new system and it is one I like the most so far and, when I can write and am not trying to avoid getting really sick, I've found that I really like this new system and it inspires me. 

Now, you need to know that I started to write one version of my memoir and decided on a new angle, so I started to write the book over from the new angle. Therefore  I had to start all over with my word count goals. I still want to accomplish 1,000 words per day Monday-Friday of writing in 2013. Therefore  as of today, I have 14,000 words due that I need to write. I have 5,000. I am 9,000 words short, needless to day. And, it took me less than a minute to figure that all out because of my new word count goal tracking system. 

So, what is this new tracking system? 

I printed out on one page a 2013 calendar. At the top, I wrote, "Due: 1,000 words per day, Monday-Friday." Then, I wrote: "/ shows 1,000 words are due." Then, "X shows that 1,000 words were written. Meaning, I hand-write in a color ink one half of an "x" on the date that 1,000 words are due. I finish the X with another color of ink to designate that I got that word count goal done. 

Therefore, when I look at my calendar this morning, I can easily see that I have 9 days of writing I need to get done to get caught up. 

It's the easiest system I've found since I devoted myself to writing daily, Monday-Friday (at least) 11 years ago. I usually get about 1,000 words extra done on Saturday and Sunday as well, but I give myself two days a week to rest and if I get anything done, great. It's a bonus.  

I am sharing this with you because it is so easy and I cannot wait to watch as the days get more X's on it throughout the year. 

~ Stacy Duplease
Journalkeeper & Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment