Monday, January 14, 2013

MEMOIR WRITING


Have you always wanted to write your story? Or is it something that has just come upon your heart--and won't let go? Either way, this blog post is for you.

4 QUOTATIONS THAT MATTER
There is something really important you need to know before you take another step in the direction of writing your story. Listen carefully and read carefully.

Your story matters.

There is something else that is critical for you to understand:

Your story is sacred.

And, there is one more thing for you to know:

Your story matters, and is sacred, because it's exclusively yours--and because it intertwines with every single person you come across in your life--including those who hear about you and your story.

And, the final thing to know is that:

Every single person you come across, their story intertwines with yours and shapes and transforms your story.

Stop. Re-read those several times and let them sink in slowly, word by word. 

You should not write your memoir until each of those quotations sink in and you take them to heart. 

Go through and journal about each of those 4 quotes. 

Spend a couple of days fully digesting, pondering/contemplating, and journaling about these quotes before you continue to the next section of this blog post.

YOUR PAST JOURNALS
Given the 4 quotations written previously, what do you think I am going to say about your past journals? 

Here is the answer: Until you look back at your memories through today's lens, I would not look back at your previous journal entries. In other words, I would start to write my memoir today through journaling my past memories today. Then, I would go back and look at old journal entries--and journal about those--from today's perspective. I would then see what has changed and how my perception has changed. Also, I would look at how they've influenced the road I've traveled, how I got here  who I am today, and where I am headed in the future. 

This is critical. It is important to keep this in mind. Please re-read that previous paragraph and then read ahead. 

WHY SHOULD I NOT LOOK AT OLD JOURNAL ENTRIES FIRST?
They will cloud your perception today.

Figure out who you are today and where you stand today--then look back. After all, there is a reason why you see the things you do today and in the manner you see them. Do not ever shortchange this. Do not ever take this for granted. There is a reason why you perceive the things you do today. There is a reason why you remember the things, and in the way you remember them, today. Do not ever--and I mean EVER--not take this into consideration. It's important what you see and how yous ee things today. Your point-of-view today matters far more than it did then. 

The previous paragraph is critical and important and should not be overlooked or taken for granted. (Yes. I was just extremely redundant in what I said. That was intentional  I want to get your attention and cannot stress this enough.)

HOW TO WRITE YOUR MEMOIR: YOUR LIFE STORY
1 Figure out where you are today. Journal about things from today's perspective. Then, look at the past. Journal your memories from today's perspective. 

2 Then, look back at your old journal entries. Do a new journal entry talking about what you observed, including what you had forgotten, and how your perception of the memory and journal entry has changed and/or remained the same. 

3 Look for lessons learned--then and now. Journal about them from today's eyes. 

4 Look for patterns in your old and new journal entries. These are important. These patterns are what make your memoir and shape it. Journal about the patterns.

5 Taking everything mentioned in this blog post  including items 1-4, start to write your memoir. 

2013 STORYKEEPER ODYSSEY
I am taking 2013 to do #1. I have 125 memories I am focusing on. This is the first part of my memoir. Then, in 2014, I am going to look at items 2-5 and write the next part of my memoir. After all, I need to fully know where I am today in order to understand yesterday and get the most out of tomorrow. 

You can find your rhythm. But, whatever you do, make sure you look at things through today's point-of-view before you look at yesterday's or tomorrow's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment