Thursday, October 25, 2012

Hurricane?!?



It's rather nice to live in your own little world of bliss and oblivion... However, something always has to interrupt that, doesn't it? Well...

Today, I've been in my own little world of happy-go-lucky writing. I've been quite productive and am thrilled with my progress. HOWEVER... I just got an email that let me know how Tropical Storm/Hurricane Sandy has the potential of hitting here. (Yikes! Yelp!!!) WHAT?!? 

This Colorado native had no idea there was the possibility since I started noticing Sandy yesterday. 

Last year, we (my husband, beagle, orange Maine Coon, and two RES turtles) went through Hurricane Irene... A month after we moved here to Virginia... A week after the earthquake that also hit D.C. and damaged the Washington Monument and National Cathedral... A month before that, I saw my first funnel cloud--practically in my backyard in Nebraska. 

Therefore, this news about Sandy kinda swept me off my feet. I quickly went through the house, like a storm in my own right, and am mostly hurricane ready. No joke. It took about 15 minutes was all. We learned from Irene how to be ready for the worst. In Irene, we had mandatory evacuation and everything. Thankfully, our garages were flooded, but no more. 

Over the last year, I have done everything I can to ensure I can up and leave in a moment's notice--if ever needed. My writing is all electronic now and is over the internet  This includes most of my books, so I do not have to worry about bringing the most important books with me. This means less crap I have to bring in my vehicle. That's good news.

If she heads this way, we will most likely have to evacuate. We live in a place that is only 6 feet above sea level and the Chesapeake is only about a mile as the crow flies from our house. So, do the math... This means it's likely we would have to evacuate. Sigh.

But, I am ready.

There was another valuable lesson we learned last year with Irene: Treat the time evacuating as a vacation. We would need it if our house had damage and if we lost anything. So, that's what we will do this time--if the worst happens. 

Now, I am going to try to get back to writing and see how much I can get done. 

Life is sure interesting sometimes.


(Image Credit: Microsoft Images Online.) 

Stacy Duplease
Thriller Historical Fiction Writer
The Chronicler and Roanoke: The Family Treez of the USA Series, Book #1
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA

No comments:

Post a Comment