Tuesday, November 5, 2013

8 An Empty Prayer Life: What am I Missing?

You tell us, Lord, in Your Word, how we are to pray 24/7/365 (Phil. 4:6 and 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). We are also supposed to meditate on Your Word night and day (Psalm 1:2).
Always. Without ceasing. Never stopping. All the time. Without fail.
Those words rather intimidate me, frustrate me, and make me question. How am I supposed to do this today when I clearly am not in biblical times? What does this look like?
Lord, You know how many times I have tried to do all of this, and have done quite well at times, but every single time, it ends with me falling down and bruising my rear, and maybe my ego, once again. My poor rear has enough padding it should be able to take those falls, but I rather like to live without pain and misery.
So, how am I supposed to pray without ceasing and meditate on the Word, both day and night, all the time, without stopping?
In the process of trying to find my way in this practice, I end up giving up. My prayer life and my life in the Bible has had more flops than success. My faith is strong, yes. I am in the Word, in prayer, and prayer journaling all day long and throughout the evenings, yes. But, the vibrancy of my faith feels parched. Dry. Dull. My faith has no luster.

WHAT AM I MISSING?
What am I missing? I spend hours in prayer and in the Word, but feel nothing. I keep going, though I don’t feel it. Even though I feel stagnate. And, I feel stagnate in my faith all the time, far more often than not. Yes, I realize how faith isn’t about feeling. Instead, it’s about belief. Right?
That sounds good on paper. And, it’s true… to a point.
Aren’t I supposed to be contented (See Philippians 4:11) in all situations? Well, I am not. And, certainly not in my faith. I want more. Clearly, I haven’t learned how to be content in my faith.
So, what do I have mixed-up and jumbled in my brain?
Well, I came across a verse that I know quite well. I can even recite it to you if asked. I have studied it. I know this verse. Or, so I thought. I read it yesterday and quickly learned how little of this verse I know. I have read it and re-read it, and studied it and re-studied it, repeatedly throughout the years. I even say it frequently. But, I only put into practice one-third of it. The never worrying part, I tend to not do at times and the ‘while I give thanks’ part I have missed.
Here is the verse in one version:

Philippians 4:6--GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
6 Never worry about anything. But in every situation let God know what you need in prayers and requests while giving thanks.
{GW: Scripture is taken from GOD’S WORD®, © 1995 God’s Word to the Nations. Used by permission of Baker Publishing Group.}
It’s the ‘as I give thanks part’ I have missed. Terribly. Skipped right over it.
Is this my flaw (or one of many)? Is this why I am not as content in my faith as I could be? In my life, I am very content. But, in my faith, I am not.
The truth is, I know it is. I know I have missed this point. And, it’s probably the most important one to miss.
I will come back to this. Bear with me while I go on a tangent for a moment, but it is all related. I will circle bask around to here.

THANKS AS AN OFFERING AND SACRIFICE
In Psalm 50:23, earlier, Lord, You showed me how always giving thanks is an offering and a sacrifice I make to You and bring to You at the altar. It is that important.
So, yesterday (03 November 2013, Sunday), I studied this a bit and wanted to know if prayer is ever mentioned as an offering or sacrifice. I didn’t find it in the Bible. It’s understood as that, but nowhere does it say this. The Word of God only makes this claim about thanksgiving and always giving thanks. This shows how important it is.

CIRCLING BACK AROUND
I think I know why my prayer life and my meditating on the Word has not been as content as they could be or should be. It’s because I have not been always giving thanks as I do them. I haven’t always given thanks as I pray, read the Word, study it, or meditate and ponder on it.
I think thanks is the secret spice that spices up the whole dish. Thanks is what gives them true meaning in our lives. Thanks is what gives everything true, eternal meaning in our lives and makes them holy. Because whatever we thank god for, we have to see and acknowledge. And, what we see and acknowledge is something God has done or given.
Thanks is the spice for my entire faith. Missing this is missing the fullness of my faith.
Is it no wonder why I have had a dull faith?

BUT, THERE’S MORE
Let me break this down into a couple of different parts and get more of a full view of this in Philippians 4. Let’s look at the first part:

Philippians 4:1-7 -- New King James Version (NKJV):
1 Therefore, my beloved and longed-for brethren, my joy and crown, so stand fast in the Lord, beloved.
2 I implore Euodia and I implore Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord. 3 And I urge you also, true companion, help these women who labored with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the Book of Life.
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
5 Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
{NKJV: Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.}

Verses four through seven speak the most to me.
And, let’s look at part two:

Philippians 4:8-13--New American Standard Bible (NASB):
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9 The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.
10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
{NASB: Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.}
What am I to thank God for? Verses four to thirteen are examples thereof.
Taking one verse out of context in the Bible can work to a point. But, what is forgotten in how within a chapter, as well as within a Book, as well as in a Testament, as well as in the Bible, each verse needs to take all the verses prior to it into consideration first. Then, all of the verses after it. The verses build meaning like building blocks, layer after layer. To take one verse out of context means we miss all of the other prior verses.
We are to rejoice first. Always. Then, be gentle, then do not worry or be anxious. Then , pray. And, as we pray, we are to always give thanks. Then, we will receive the peace beyond our comprehension. Then, we are to think on certain things. Then, we will be content at all times. Then, I can do anything because God gives me strength.
So, prayer and thanksgiving always go hand-in-hand. And, so does meditating on the Word. All three activities that we are to do simultaneously put You first and brings You to the foreground, God.
If I add being in the Word, being in prayer, and giving thanks together at all times, then I have a well-rounded faith that allows me to be strengthened by the Lord.
Wow.
Then, I come to 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 and all of this is reinforced:

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18--New King James Version (NKJV):
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
{NKJV: Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.}

Ephesians 5:20--GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)

20 Always thank God the Father for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment