Friday, November 22, 2013

1 Who Am I?




1 Who Am I?


Thanks.
What a simple, but highly profound word.
What does it mean? It means to express gratitude, to acknowledge, to show appreciation. It can also mean to display or show relief.
We are to give thanks to God. We are to always give overflowing thanks to God (see Colossians 2:6-7). I am to do so.
Thanks to God. What does this mean? How can we show God our thanks? How can we show the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe (see Colossians 1:16-17) our thanks? He is everything said in Isaiah 9:6: The Prince of Peace, Everlasting Father, Wonderful Counselor, and Mighty God. He is always present, all-knowing, all-powerful. How can we, I, show Him thanks? He is perfect and I am meant for death (see Romans 6:23). So, HOW can I show HIM thanks?
Little ol' carnal one me and the Infinite One. I am the lost, wandering, always repeating same old useless patterns, and missing the mark. The thought of my saying thanks to him seems like it would demean Him. Who am I to give the GREAT I AM my thanks? I am nothing. I am so unworthy of Him in every way.
Or, is this true?
Am I nothing and He is everything? Can someone as so small and as insignificant as me, who wanders from Him and His Word, give HIM thanks? (And why would I want to?)
The Bible tells us to give Him thanks.

1 Chronicles 16:34 * Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good;
His faithful love endures forever.[1]

Oh. Why give thanks to God? The Bible tells me to do so in 1 Chronicles 16:34. That’s why.
The Bible is the Word of God and is Truth. This, I know from the depth of my bones. This, I know because of Exodus 34:6; John 14:6, and John 8:32 (see also Genesis 24:27; 2 Samuel 2:6; 2 Samuel 7:28; Psalm 25:10; Psalm 51:6; Psalm 119:151; Psalm 119:160; John 1:14; John 8:45; John 14:16-17;1 Corinthians 13:6; 2 Corinthians 13:8; Colossians 1:3-6). The Bible is where I am to turn at every opportunity because it is the Truth and it is so much more.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 * New American Standard Bible (NASB)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.[2]

This is how I know I am to thank God. The Bible tells me to do it. The verse of 1 Chronicles 16:34 describes a great deal more, though. Why give God thanks? It’s because He is good (see Matthew 19:17; Mark 10:18; Luke 18:19; Psalm 119:68; Psalm 143:10; Nehemiah 9:20; Acts 10:38; 1 Timothy 4:4-5).
The Bible also tells me He is good and that is why I am to thank Him. But, 1 Chronicles 16:34 tells me I am to thank God because the love of God endures forever and is faithful. This is why I am to thank God. It’s not because of me. It’s because of Him.

Jude 1:24 * New Living Translation (NLT)
24 Now all glory to God, who is able to keep you from falling away and will bring you with great joy into his glorious presence without a single fault.[3]

God is worthy of all glory and thanking Him brings Him glory. After all, He allowed His Son to be crucified and murdered on the cross so our sins could be forgiven. This has left us with a clean slate. Isn’t this all the more reason to thank Him?
The more I think about how I should thank Him, the more I realize I have a hang-up. I can’t get past of thinking how worthy I am for God to love me and forgive me. I also cannot get past the knowledge of who I am. Who am I and what can I offer God? I am a sinner. The blood of those from the Garden is in my veins. I am lowly. Job 38 comes to my mind and all.
That’s when I realize, once again, how it is not about me at all. It’s about Him.

John 15:5 * Expanded Bible (EXB)
“I am the vine, and you are the branches. If any remain [abide] in me and I remain[abide] in them, they produce much fruit. But without [apart from] me they can do nothing.[4]

If I realize it is true I cannot do anything without Him, however, when I do remain in Him, wonderful things happen. John 15:5 is proof of this. I will bear a lot of fruit if I abide in the Lord and in His Word. And, this includes offering Him thanks.



[1] {HCSB: Scripture quotations marked HCSB are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2009 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission. Holman Christian Standard Bible®, Holman CSB®, and HCSB® are federally registered trademarks of Holman Bible Publishers.}

[2] {NASB: Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE®, Copyright © 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.}
[3] {NLT: Scripture quotations marked (NLT) are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2007 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.}
[4] {EXB: Scripture taken from The Expanded Bible. Copyright © 2011 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.}

No comments:

Post a Comment