Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Writing Story: I'm a Woman Ahead of Her Time



I have been writing fiction for well over three decades. When I was a girl, it was my dream to be a writer. I even won an award and had my writing published in the "Rocky Mountain News" when I was a girl. The only problem was, I did not know how to voice it. Then, later I learned how rare it was for a writer to get published, so I decided to find a career so I could eat and pay rent. 

Then, in 2002, I determined to start to pursue the opportunity of writing full time. I decided to write and get published so I could support myself--and eat and pay the rent. 

I wrote several full-length novels. None of them felt right to me or like they were ready to be published. So, I did not pursue it. I wrote every day, but did not get in the position where I could support myself with writing. In 2006, I even started to go to writers conferences (Christian Writers Guild/Writing for the Soul and Write His Answer). 

In 2009, I stopped working full-time so I could write full-time, thanks to my husband. 

I have written well over 100 full-length novels. (I am not kidding.) However, not one of them have been published. Most of them were not the right novels to pursue and have published. IT did not feel right and I could not imagine spending years with them. And those I pursued, and presented at Writers Conferences, were meant with the exact same critique. All 5 times. I am years ahead of the Christian writing market. They were sure if I wanted to present it to the ABA, I would be published. However, I wanted to go the CBA route--the Christian route. 

Then, one year, after presenting three books of the same criticism to a publisher year after year, he was frank with me. He told me to self-publish. That was in the day that was frowned upon. He suggested I do this and wait for the Christian writing/publishing community to catch up to my writing. So, that is what I have done. 

Now, with that being said, I tried to write even more books. I tried multiple genres. None of them felt right to me. 

Then, I moved to Virginia, fell in love with the history here, and decided to look again at historical fiction. It fit somehow.

Then, I found out about my family treez and how my family came from this area in 1607. This was the final piece of the puzzle as to figuring out what genre to write. 

I even thought it worked so well, and felt so right, that I should try to go the publishing idea through the CBA. I experimented and tried to get my books to fit into their guidelines. Again, I realize I am a writer ahead of my time. I have tried multiple approached for the family treez American inspirational historical fiction and none of them have fit until today. I am bucking the system. I will self-publish and will develop a platform in time large enough that it will not matter if the CBA catches up with me--or I am doing well enough on my own it does not matter. 

How am I ahead of my time and the market today? How many 600-page inspirational historical fiction books have you read? Case and point. There is a need in mainstream publishing for the historical fiction like I am writing. Need I mention Ken Follet, Philippa Gregory, John Jakes, Jeff Shaara, Herman Wouk, and Newt Gingrich? They are all proof that this lengthy saga or epic of historical fiction sells. 

Never mind how it is about my family. 

I am going to pursue this with everything I have. I believe in what I am writing--and have determined to write THE FAMILY TREEZ OF THE USA SERIES until I am so old I can longer type.

(Image Credit: Microsoft Images Online.)

Stacy Duplease
Historical Fiction Writer
The Family Treez of the USA Series
dba Remembering Your Present, LLC & Family Treez USA
Family Treez Blog and Website: http://familytreezusa.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment